RRUW launched the River Region Bold Goal Coalition on September 8, 2021, at a virtual Leadership Forum of civic, community and education leaders from across United Way’s five-county service area.
The Bold Goal Coalition seeks to increase the number of students across the five-county River Region who are reading proficiently by the end of the third grade. Subject matter experts on grade-level reading and collective impact provided an overview of the Coalition challenges and opportunities. Six superintendents from area public school systems participated in a panel discussion on opportunities for increased community involvement. The Forum concluded with a conversation about best practices from similar efforts across the country.
- Barbara Cooper, Ph.D., Secretary, Alabama Department of Early Childhood Education
- Sheila Austin, Ph.D. , Dean of Education, Auburn University Montgomery
- Jacqueline Brooks, Ed.D., Superintendent, Macon County Schools
- Nick Moore, Education Policy Advisor & Coordinator Governor’s Office of Education & Workforce Transformation, Office of Alabama Governor Kay Ivey
- Monroe Nichols, Director of Network Growth, StriveTogether
- Richard Dennis, Superintendent, Elmore County Public Schools
- Rhea Ingram, Ph.D., Chair of the Board and Chief Volunteer Officer, River Region United Way
- Chuck Ledbetter, Ed.D., Superintendent, Pike Road City Schools
- Anne Roy Moore, Ed.D., Superintendent, Montgomery County Public Schools
- Ron Simmons, President & CEO, River Region United Way
- Audra Stinson, Principal, Jackson-Steele Elementary School (Lowndes County Public Schools)
- Timothy Tidmore, Superintendent, Autuaga County Schools